History of Hayward's Ice Cream
For over 70 years, Hayward's has been producing Southern New Hampshire's favorite homemade premium ice cream. The quality and flavor is second to none.
On June 15th, 1940, Hayward's Ice Cream Stand opened their windows for the very first time. Since it's inception, Hayward's has been family owned and operated. From 1940 till 1964, founders Charles P. and Fredericka Hayward owned and managed Hayward's Ice Cream. In 1964 Hayward's was turned over to their daughter, Trudy and then husband Mike Ordway. In 1977 Mike Ordway and his wife Linda, purchased Hayward's Ice Cream from Charles P. and Fredericka Hayward.
In 1996, Chris Ordway, a third generation Hayward and son to Mike and Trudy, along with his brother-in-law Frank Robinson, purchased Hayward's Ice Cream from Mike. Chris is the current owner of Hayward's Ice Cream of Nashua, while Frank is the current owner of Hayward's of Milford.
Over the years Hayward's has gone though many changes. In 1942 the building was moved back almost 100 feet to make room for more parking. During WWII sugar was very sparse and ice cream stands got very little to make ice cream. Sometimes we only got enough to open up for 3 or 4 days at a time. At that point the sugar was gone and so was the ice cream. In the 60's burgers were added to the menu. What a treat that was. Burgers and ice cream... mmmmm. Eventually all these things ended and then came the greatest addition to the menu: The Steamed Hot Dog. Steamed hot dogs where added in the mid 70's and have been a huge success ever since.
Stop by either location and taste why Hayward's has been voted "Best Ice Cream" more than any other ice cream in New England.